Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Santana's "Oye Como Va!"


Aahhh. The music of Carlos Santana! Brings back some great memories!

You know, this song actually has a lot of history. Some people think that Santana was the first to come out with this song.  "Oye Como Va" is a version of a song originally written by Cachao, a Cuban Mambo Musician and covered by Puerto Rican Latin Jazz and Mambo Musician, Tito Puente in 1963 and then popularized by Santana's cover of the song in 1970, helping to catapult Santana into super stardom.

For those who don’t know the meaning of the song, I’ll help you out.

Oye!
Listen up, y'all !

Como va mi ritmo ..bueno pa gozar
To how great my rhythm is going/flowing, for your enjoyment

(La música) mulata
A mixed blend (for a mixed audience)

This was the BEST song to listen to as I remember growing up having cookouts in our backyard with my family eating Fajita's! It also reminds me of eating my favorite dish of all time!  Carne Guisada with Spanish Rice, Refried Beans and a stack of Hot Fluffy Tortillas!

I miss my mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment