Monday, January 17, 2011

10CC! “The Things We Do For Love!”


I remember back in 1977, I was 11 years old and there was this girl in elementary school I liked and we decided one day that we’d “Go Around”, or wait….maybe I asked her to circle “YES” or “NO” on a piece of paper in class asking if she wanted to be my girlfriend? Anyway, we were both really shy when we were around each other and sometimes we would get upset with each other because our friends would interfere with our time (aahhhh….all at the ripe old age of 11) and I was hoping we wouldn’t “break up”. So, everytime I would hear this song, and it came to the part in the lyrics, “And you’re looking for the answer in her eyes…..you think you’re gonna break up, then she says she wants to make up”, I would get all happy cause I knew this song was talking about us. It’s funny looking back. We eventually “broke up” when we both rode our  bikes and met at the local park to say, “It’s not going to work.” Funny what you remember!

10cc was a British band that had a string of hits in the 1970’s. The band initially consisted of four members — Graham Gouldman, Eric Stewart, Kevin Godley and Lol Crème.

Eric Stewart stated the following about writing the song “The Things We Do For Love.”

 "This song I wrote with Graham Gouldman was originally a very bluesy song, and we actually played that to Kevin Godley and Lol Creme, and Kevin said, 'It's interesting but I think you should speed it up a bit and make it a bit more beefy.' And then they left the band. So we never got it in the studio to try it with them, but, Graham Gouldman and I did. It's biographical. I remember walking through the rain and the snow when I lived in Manchester and we didn't have a telephone. I had to go and find a phone box to ring the girl who was about to become my wife, and the phones were down, and it was snowing, and these vivid pictures are there. If you put them in a song, a lot of people identify with a similar situation."

What’s cool about this group is that 2 of its members, Kevin Godley & Lol Creme became better-known as directors of music videos in the 1980s, creating videos for acts including George Harrison ("When We Was Fab"), The Police ("Every Breath You Take"), Duran Duran ("Girls On Film"), Frankie Goes to Hollywood ("Two Tribes"), Peter Gabriel's duet with Kate Bush ("Don't Give Up"), and Herbie Hancock ("Rockit").

The band just announced a reunion tour for 2011 in the UK.

They are still kicking it!

No comments:

Post a Comment