Saturday, January 15, 2011

Spandau Ballet! "True!"


One of my all time favorite ballads! I can say that now, but back in the day? I can remember there was a brief period back in the 80’s, when I'd be cruising in my car with my crazy metal head friends listening to nothing but heavy rock music. But, when it came time at the end of the night to drop them all off at home, and I was all alone in my car driving back home…..you guessed it. My secret is revealed! I would quickly change the radio dial to the Easy Listening Slow Jam Station where I would get my fill of smooth ballads and would always catch this awesome tune by Spandau Ballet. At the time, I wouldn’t have been caught DEAD listening to this kind of music with my buddies. 

“True" is the title track from Spandau Ballet's 1983 album True, originally recorded at Compass Point Studios, Bahamas. It was composed by the group leader, Gary Kemp, and is a six-minute (in its original album version) slow pop-ballad love song that in part pays tribute to the Motown artist Marvin Gaye and the sound he helped to establish. The song was recorded before Gaye's murder a year later.

The song was a huge worldwide hit. It’s Spandau Ballet's biggest hit and their most remembered song in the U.S. You might remember hearing it in the 1984 film Sixteen Candles.

They were called 'The Makers' in the early years, but changed their name after a friend of the band, journalist and DJ Robert Elms, saw the name scrawled on a the wall of an establishment during a visit to Berlin along the lines of "Rudolf Hess, all alone, dancing the Spandau Ballet" (Rudolf Hess was the sole inmate at Germany's Spandau Prison).

So, if this song is one of your guilty pleasures, be loud and proud and enjoy one of the greatest songs of the decade!!

No comments:

Post a Comment